Saturday, August 25, 2007

A reply for e-Portfolio as requested by Ms. Ng


This particular blog is in regards to Yun Mun’s question on e-Portfolio in the space to interact, a.k.a forum in moodle (please click on the pharse "space to interact" to have a more thorough view on the discussion on e-Portfolio in moodle). Also this is particularly to fulfill Ms. Ng’s request in blogging down the answers in our own blog.

Though I know my answers come late, but it is always better to be late than never, right? (Haha, this is just an excuse for being late. Ms. Ng and Yun Mun, sorry for the late blogging on the answers ya).

Below, I will combine all the three questions by Yun Mun and spell out my answers generally:
  1. Is it simply tasksheets completed using the computer and uploaded to your "website" where your e-portfolio is located?
  2. Is it what we are doing every week- blog and blog and blog? The blogs that actually share your knowledge (doing an output session)? Blogs considered as content of e-portfolio?
  3. Is the learners allow to write their personal experiences, encounters and feelings in their e-portfolio (like diary) which are not relevant to the teaching- learning process?

In my point of view, after browsing the net for some ideas on e-Portfolio, , it is a partially 'YES' answer to the above question. Actually it all depends on what types of e-portfolio that one intends to produce since according to Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia (which is one of the Gladys’ favourite sites to “lepak” in), there are three types of e-Portfolio.


First, it is the developmental e-Portfolio which shows the progress on what the learners have done. Here, regarding Yun Mun’s first question, perhaps all the tasksheets, being those that are completed using the computer or those that are completed on the paper but then later being scanned in the computer are considered part of the content for the e-Portfolio. This is to me, more like a leaner’s e-Portfolio to show their progress and to tell the school stakeholders about their performance, besides sought out ways to help them in their study.


Second, it is the reflective e-Portfolio where the content of it is made up of the owner’s reflection on what the owner feels or has learnt. Here, there is no tasksheets. Anyway, Yun Mun’s second question comes into play where blogging can be the content for this type of e-Portfolio. You see, we blog down our reflection on the lesson that we have for Technology course. This is the very content for reflective e-Portfolio. While according to the e-Learning framework by George in the world wide web: http://www.elframework.org/projects/petal/whatiseportfolio/view, e-Portfolio is the evidence a person might make to themselves or to others about their life. Hence, if this is the case, then Yun Mun’s third question regarding personal experiences and encounters can be answered with a “YES”. No doubt, if we would like to share our feelings and experience with others, we can produce the reflective e-Portfolio on what we think and feel on the day-to-day events and occurrences so to share with others.

Lastly, it is the representational e-Portfolio where it is about to showcase the owner’s achievement in relation to certain objectives or works. Here, again, Yun Mun’s first question on tasksheets can be partially answered. However, not all tasksheets are taken for the content of this type of e-Portfolio. Only the good ones are taken as for the purpose in showcasing the pupils’ ability rather than their flaws. Moreover, besides in school, I personally feel that this type of e-Portfolio is important in promoting ourselves perhaps during the job interview session. It acts some sort like a recommendation letter where you could show your potential employer your ability. Just like the models, I bet they will keep a representational e-Portfolio on their photos for the purpose of showcasing.

Well, I guess that’s all for my answer for the above three questions and I hope I’ve somewhat provided an acceptable response to them.

On the other hand, regarding the below question, my opinion will be as follow:

"Basically, I am so eager to know how do we create e-portfolios and what are the expected content and responses from the learners to be kept in their e-portfolio."


Well, in my point of view, as what I’d mentioned earlier, it is all depending on what type of e-Portfolio that the owner wants to create or is asked to create. The content is very much depending on the purpose of creating the e-Portfolio—either to inform others about your progress, to tell them about your life or experience or to showcase your ability.

And for the last part of the question, I’m afraid I can’t give a definite “YES” or “NO” answer for it:

"Is e-portfolio being used in the Malaysian schools? I wonder......(never heard of it actually)"

Regarding the implementation of e-Portfolio in the Malaysian schools I’ve never heard of it and have never encounter it either. I’d tried to search on the net but it seems like the e-Portfolio are for the students from higher education such as the college students rather than the Primary school pupils. Perhaps, anyone out there has any idea regarding this? I would like to have a deeper view on it, so just feel free to enlighten me… Thanks ^P^.

I guess that’s all for this and the above are merely my personal opinions. They are truely subjected to comments.

Opss, ya, before I stop, there is one thing to share, there are lots and lots of information regarding e-Portfolio online, just browse for it...

Till then, have a nice day to all!

4 comments:

HueyZher said...

its never too late.
anyway, i like how u day by day..or shall i say time after time, you modified your blog.
the colour font and the spacing between lines makes reading easier.

Ng Ing Ping said...

Nice write up on e-portfolio

meimei said...

Ms. Ng,

Thanks a zillion for leaving comment again in my blog (haha, sounds so exaggerated huh?). Anyway, I’m truly happy and it’s my pleasure to read comments, and what is more, it is from my own facilitator?

Well, I keep on modifying my blog just to make it more attracting to those who happen to read it. I would not want them to feel bored because I know reading a wordy blog is taxing enough. I just want people to relax when reading it…

Well, again, thanks for your appreciation on my ‘modificated’ blog…

meimei said...

Hi Jeremy,

Haha, thanks for the complement, hope you had enjoyed yourself reading my blog.

~slow and steady win the race~

~slow and steady win the race~