Wednesday, August 1, 2007

PoWeR pOwEr PoWeR Point DESIGN~~~

25/7/2007 (Wednesday)

Ms. Ng is the main focus for today for she has the expertise in designing a good power point which will enhance the teaching-learning process in the primary classrooms. Indeed, the three hour-lesson can be, metaphorically describe as a “journey to enlightenment” in designing Microsoft Powerpoint. (Thinking that I am exaggerating? Well, unless you were there to experience the lecture or you will not able to visualize it, hah!)

Being exposed to all the good and useful techniques in designing a power point slide, such as the matter of simplicity, the picture pixels and resolution, the font size, the visibility of wording, the colour chosen for the slide and the font, we are also being exposed to the importance of recognizing the needs for our target group and the objective for the power point presentation. In addition, contradicting to my previous belief, I notice that two dimensional charts are actually better than the three dimensional charts in providing a clearer view on the portions after viewing the comparison of the slides.

Moreover, the lecture has taught me the importance of having title for every slide. According to Ms. Ng, this will help to maintain the focus of the audience on the topic to be presented. In addition, picture is just a secondary source and it should not hinder the audience’s focus on the main concept or idea in a slide. This is really a new discovery for me. Usually, I will use lots of animation and pictures in my slide. The very reason for this is that I feel that the pictures will capture the audience’s attention and stir them into my presentation. However, I had neglected the main and primary objective for the side show—which is to convey idea. Hence, I think I would really take into the consideration of having water-washed pictures so to stick out my main point in my future slide show rather than having the animated pictures that fill up my slides.
(Is not this an enlightenment? Hah!)

Undoubtedly, after this lecture, I can really see the importance of having a well-designed slide in order to achieve our purpose. However, here comes the question~ TENG! TENG! TENG! ~~

“Since most of the educators are well equipped with the basic principles for designing power point, there are little who follows these principles, especially when talking about simplicity in a slide.”

Through my personal experience, still, most of the presenters (I mean those who have already had the knowledge in power point design) will fill up their slides with words. Putting myself into their shoes (as I used to fill up my slide to the maximum, hehe~), perhaps it is due to the reason of convenience and the mentality of worrying little will not work well. Moreover, more words will give the confidence in ensuring all the points being raised when our memory fails to recall.

Anyway, we should really put aside our old belief in power point designing. It is only after being exposed to the comparison of a good slide design and a moderate slide design by Ms. Ng that I totally agree with the importance of following the principles in power point design. I will try to apply these in my future power point presentation; in fact, I and my group members have already utilized the principles in editing our power point slide show during the lesson itself!

No comments:

~slow and steady win the race~

~slow and steady win the race~